The Catch refers to Matt Davison's miraculous catch against Missouri in 1997. The catch brought the Huskers within one and the extra point forced overtime. First, a little background on the game. The Huskers came in to Columbia, MO the #1 ranked team in the nation and head coach Tom Osborne was fresh off his 250th win in 25 years. The Huskers were favored in the match-up. Missouri took a 7-0 lead early but the Huskers struck back quickly with two Scott Frost touchdowns. Missouri dominated the game with the attack of their quarterback Corby Jones. With Mizzou leading 38-31, the Huskers had the ball on their own 33 yard line and 1:02 remaining.
The Final DriveEdit
- 1st & 10 on NU 33 - Kenny Cheatham catches a pass from Scott Frost completed for 27 yards.
- 1st & 10 on MU 40 - Scott Frost incomplete pass intended for Lance Brown.
- 2nd & 10 on MU 40 - Scott Frost incomplete pass thrown away.
- 3rd & 10 on MU 40 - Matt Davison catches a pass from Scott Frost completed for 13 yards.
- 1st & 10 on MU 27 - Kenny Cheatham catches a pass from Scott Frost for 8 yards.
- 2nd & 2 on MU 19 - Scott Frost incomplete pass
- 3rd & 2 on MU 19 - Kenny Cheatham catches a pass from Scott Frost for 7 yards.
- 1st & 10 on MU 12 - Incomplete pass
- 2nd & 10 on MU 12 - Incomplete pass
- 3rd & 10 on MU 12 - "The Catch"
The CatchEditOn 3rd & 10, with 0:07 seconds left, Scott Frost fired a pass intended for Shevin Wiggins into the endzone. It bounced off of Wiggins' chest, fell down Wiggins' leg and was inadvertently kicked into the air by Wiggins. Matt Davison, thinking quickly, ran over to the now airborne ball and dove under it, saving it from falling to the turf. The catch was ruled a touchdown by the officials as the Missouri fans poured onto the field, thinking they had upset Nebraska. Nebraska had only come within one and now an extra point was needed. Kris Brown hit the PAT and tied it up at 38 and sent the game to overtime. Scott Frost scored on an option keeper on the first possession of overtime and now it was up to the Nebraska Blackshirts to seal the game. On 4th & 10 and needing a miracle, Missouri's Corby Jones dropped back to pass and was sacked by Mike Rucker, giving the Cornhuskers the thrilling finish.